Excerpted from Bob Burg's book "Endless Referrals", in it he shares tips for telephone success by, Jim Meisenheimer's, a fellow speaker who specializes in personalized sales training programs.
Here are his 10 tips for telephone success:
1. PREPARE IN ADVANCE. Prepare your questions and responses in advance. Know your product or service well, and your mind will be free to listen to the customer and focus on his or her needs.
2. LIMIT YOUR OWN TALKING. You can't talk and listen at the same time. Jim makes an excellent point. We have a saying at my company: "If we are doing the talking, nothing is being sold."
3. FOCUS. Concentrate on your conversation and the customer's needs. This means temporarily shutting out your personal problems and worries. Difficult at times but possible, and definitely necessary.
4. PUT YOURSELF INTO YOUR PROSPECT'S SHOES. Understand their needs and concerns by thinking like them. Take their point of view in order to help them solve their problems.
5. ASK QUESTIONS. We know the importance of asking questions during a presentation. Asking questions will also help clear up any points or prospect concerns you are not sure you completely understand. Paraphrasing the prospect's concerns back to them in the form of a question, followed by "Do I understand you correctly?" or, "Is that what you're saying?" will keep you on the right track.