Search This Blog

Friday, May 18, 2012

Clutter: The Epilogue

by Jeff Zbar
 
My desk still often remains a bit cluttered. But I’m not anal about keeping a “clean” desk during the work week. I know where stuff is, can find it rather quickly, and spend Fridays cleaning my desk. Besides, people with spotless desks during the week scare me. 

I guess this is hereditary. My dad had a sign in his office, “Please do not straighten out the mess in my office. You’ll confuse me and screw up my whole world.” Like those who believe a little dirt is healthy for kids, a little clutter reveals a busy mind – as long as there’s no dust atop the clutter.
The essential component to any effort to knock back clutter is to Create a Process. Don’t just shred, but know what’s to be shredded when it arrives. Don’t just create Folders in Outlook. Know what those folders are to be used for – and base your folder-making decision on your actual habits.

If, as Aristotle was believed to have said, “Excellence is not an act, but a habit,” Make Excellence in De-Cluttering a habit as well.

www.cantsucceedwithoutit.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment