by Mind Tools
Scheduling is the process by which you plan your use of time. By scheduling effectively, you can both reduce stress and maximize your effectiveness.
Before you can schedule efficiently, you need an effective scheduling system. This can be a diary, calendar, paper-based organizer, PDA, Google Calendar or a software package like MS Outlook or GoalPro 6. The best solution depends entirely on your circumstances.
Scheduling is then a five-step process:
- Identify the time you have available.
- Block in the essential tasks you must carry out to succeed in your job.
- Schedule in high priority urgent tasks and vital "house-keeping" activities.
- Block in appropriate contingency time to handle unpredictable interruptions.
- In the time that remains, schedule the activities that address your priorities and personal goals.