By giving of your time, you can help make your community a better, safer, cleaner, and more pleasant place to live. And often, very small gestures can make a difference.
23 Simple Ways to Give Back to Your Community
Not every volunteer effort has to change the world. Let your efforts make your corner a little brighter. Here are some simple ways you can improve your community:
1. Help an elderly neighbor rake leaves, shovel snow, or do home repairs.
2. Plant flowers in the town center.
3. Give away free flowers or seeds in the spring.
4. Put out flags for the 4th of July in neighborhood front yards or the town center.
5. Sponsor a Little League team where there wasn't one already.
6. Become active in the chamber of commerce.
7. Organize a garden walk.
8. Speak at career day at the elementary school.
9. Repaint a playground.
10. Take your pet to the local senior center.
11. Organize a summer cleaning or painting of the local school.
12. Ask past clients to take part in a house tour.
13. Give a free first-time homebuyers seminar.
14. Collect customer donations in your office lobby.
15. Encourage sellers to donate clothing and furniture rather than throw it out.
16. Sit as a member of your city capital improvements task force.
17. Use your real estate contacts and skills to identify property that might be donated or purchased for charity use: building low-income homes, local schools, hospitals, or group homes.
18. Bring a carload of newspapers, towels, and blankets to an animal shelter.
19. Ask a local teacher what supplies his or her class needs most, then donate them.
20. Hold a canned food drive, then deliver the goods to a soup kitchen.
21. Organize a town clean-up day.
22. Take a lonely child with you when your family goes to the movies.
23. Join the PTA.