Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Four Categories of FEAR

by Sheldon Singleton

Have you ever walked into a room at a networking event, started to talk to someone and they immediately started to try to sell you on their service and themselves within one minute of meeting you.

What was your reaction?

Were there good thoughts going through your mind and you wanted to be around them or did you want to RUN AWAY QUICKLY?

Why is this so? Hmmm.

What if you could know what fears are in a person’s head before you even walked into a networking event or sat down with a potential client? How valuable would that information be to you and what advantage would you have over your competition if you knew this information?

Remember this, all things being equal, people do business with and refer business to people they know, like and trust. Whenever you meet anybody new, before you have established a relationship (Business and some of these can be personal) these fears will be racing through their mind. Try this on yourself.

Here are the Four Fear Categories

1. TRUST Fear

a. Fear of You (You a stranger to me.)

b. Fear of being lied to (I don’t know if you are telling me the truth.)

2. NEED Fear

a. Fear of Debt (Debt is a bad word. I lose my freedom when I go in bad debt.)

b. Fear of Losing Face (I don’t want to be embarrassment in front of loved ones or my friends.)

3. HELP Fear

a. Fear of making a mistake (I made mistakes in the past or I heard a story or I know someone who made a mistake.)

4. UNKNOWN Fears (I don’t understand what you do and it’s scary to me. I would rather do nothing or take it slow on something I know nothing or little about.)

Here are some other scary thoughts that are going through a person’s head when you first meet them.

1. I don’t know you.

2. I don’t know your reputation.

3. I don’t know your products.

4. I don’t know your industry.

5. I don’t know your company.

Wow! There is a lot of fears going through a person’s mind before you even approached them. They are looking at all strangers this way and it is nothing personal. It is the way we have been conditioned. No wonder people are afraid.

Now that you have this little known information, imagine how confident you will feel when you walk into a room in any situation and meet a new person. You already know what fears are on their mind, know how to respond to them, create immediate rapport because you responded to their fears in a very subtle manner and you know how to make someone feel comfortable around you and your friend “FASTER”.

Do you feel the power?!

No comments:

Post a Comment